Hello, Students! Welcome to Contemporary American Literature (ENGL 2310). I look forward to an exciting five weeks with all of you. This summer, we will be exploring some of the major works of American Literature since 1945 that include poetry, prose, and drama. We will also be delving (if briefly) into the genre of the novel--perhaps my favorite genre of all. As we prepare to embark on some lively and enriching class discussions, I hope you will start thinking about why we study literature. What does literature teach us? What can we learn from this cultural form?
In the meantime, allow me to introduce myself. I am Dr. Julie Lester, and I am a full-time faculty member at Southwest. My specialization is in African American Literature, but I also have interest in Victorian Literature, and trends in American Literature as well. I am entering my seventh year teaching for Southwest, and in the time I have been here, I have enjoyed teaching a range of courses that include Freshman Composition, World Literature, and several courses in Honors. While I am usually teaching at the Union campus in the fall and spring, this summer I am fortunate to join you at the Macon campus. I look forward to getting to know you, and to sharing at least a glimpse at a very rich and varied literary history.
I have created this blog as a teaching tool, but also as a means for you to review the content of lectures, read up on some of the authors and works we'll be discussing, and as a resource on some of the class materials I will create for you as well. I hope to have links to the syllabus and any handouts for the course; however, we will also employ PAWS for you to submit your final essays, and store some course material there as well.
In the meantime, allow me to introduce myself. I am Dr. Julie Lester, and I am a full-time faculty member at Southwest. My specialization is in African American Literature, but I also have interest in Victorian Literature, and trends in American Literature as well. I am entering my seventh year teaching for Southwest, and in the time I have been here, I have enjoyed teaching a range of courses that include Freshman Composition, World Literature, and several courses in Honors. While I am usually teaching at the Union campus in the fall and spring, this summer I am fortunate to join you at the Macon campus. I look forward to getting to know you, and to sharing at least a glimpse at a very rich and varied literary history.
I have created this blog as a teaching tool, but also as a means for you to review the content of lectures, read up on some of the authors and works we'll be discussing, and as a resource on some of the class materials I will create for you as well. I hope to have links to the syllabus and any handouts for the course; however, we will also employ PAWS for you to submit your final essays, and store some course material there as well.
Comments
Post a Comment